SC - Subing????

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri May 29 10:20:45 PDT 1998

At 8:47 AM -0500 5/29/98, Shari Burnham wrote:
>david friedman wrote:

>> 1. Source? It doesn't sound like anything in any of the period Islamic
>> cookbooks I am familiar with.
>>

>Sorry, I stand corrected from Kateryn.  The broth and use of braised meat and
>beans is period, the tomatos are an addition to the recipe from her
>mother, who
>is Lebanese.  She got the broth recipe from one of her herbal books when
>she was
>checking on rosemary, I will have her look it up and tell me which book, I
>thought she said Culpepper's but I could be wrong.  (I will ask her when I get
>home.)

But Culpepper is not  Middle Eastern. When you said "a Middle Eastern
recipe that is completely period" did you mean "a modern Middle Eastern
recipe that could have been made in period for all we know?" "Period," in
the SCA context, can mean a wide range of things, from "we can't prove they
didn't to it" to "we can prove they did."

>> 2.  Do you have evidence for the use of tomatoes in Middle Eastern cooking
>> before 1600?

>I will ask Kateryn on this one, too, since she is the one who did the middle
>eastern recipe research.  I remember her saying something about tomatoes and
>certain fruits that were consumed in the Islamic areas of NE Africa and ME
>before these fruits,etc were traded northward.  Would you happen to have any
>additional source info/documentation that I could cross reference?  Now I
>really
>want to do more digging!

The only period reference to eating tomatoes I know of refers to Italy in
the sixteenth century. I don't know of any period 16th c. Islamic
cookbooks; there is a 15th c. one which (of course) does not mention
tomatoes.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University