SC - Re: conning people into the SCA.

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Sun May 3 09:34:06 PDT 1998

Well, many people who enjoy watching period pieces in the movies are
interested in seeing what goes on at events. They are sort of interested in
the idea that we do what they see in the movies as a hobby, and after I
describe how we research things and actually get people into armor to
fight[not to mention the adrenaline rush from being on the sidelines and
cheering people on] they want to see what we do. They are not always ready
to get dressed up[well, the women tend to want to once they see some of the
fancier garb in the pictures] or eat funny food. As I said, usually once
they see how much fun we have, and get a taste of how amiable we are then
they are ready to do more than 'dip in the toes' so to speak. Do keep in
mind that there are a large number of people today who were raised on the
fab 50's diet of steak, chicken, peas, potatoes and corn-salt and pepper are
ok, parsley is a garnish on the side and tossed salad comes with bottled
French dressing. Not to disparage their upbringing, but for many generations
blending in was de rigeur and ethnicity was not popular other than in the
form of italian/pizzeria or take out Chinese. The interest in ethnic or
historical food is relatively recent in circles other than intelligentsia.
One of the ladies in my house has a father who thinks that spicing a pot
roast with anything other than salt and pepper renders it inedible! She
brought him to an event when she first was in[in the early 80's, when it
wasn't really medieval documented foods, but roast chicken and beef stews
being served] and he was horrified at what they expected him to eat. Imagine
offering him the dread cuskys? Fruit ravioli-how revolting!

My parents, on the other hand weren't into things medieval until I took them
to a few events in Thescorre[where I was brought up] They weren't overjoyed
by the food but they like going to events and watching the fighting and A&S
stuff, and the shopping. They might even do Pennsic this year[well, pay for
the minimum week and just daytrip on wed/Thursday-they have friends in the
area the are thinking about staying with[and at 75 years old they don't want
to camp...]
margali