SC - period food turns people away?

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Tue May 5 11:40:46 PDT 1998

>We had a thread on Salaamalah's mustard soup, the conclusion of which was
that it was from a modern secondary source, and only loosely related to the
original (Taillevent). Do you know of any period cold fruit soup recipes?

Or in other words, aren't you describing people's reaction to exotic
food--probably not period--rather than to period food, which need not be
exotic?
David/Cariadoc

As I have been saying all along, many people abhor any food not familiar to
them from their mothers kitchen and will not eat it. It does not matter if
it is Salamallah's mustard soup, Taillevent's mustard soup or the cold
raspberry glop, if it ain't campbell's cream of chicken, they ain't eating
it.

I will still say it is better to make a person comfortable for a day trip by
serving them beans and wienies, if that is what they will eat-as long as
they are comfortable enough to enjoy themselves and decide to come back
again. Hell, I have had house guests turn down dinner when I was making
something out of the Betty Crocker cookbook because they didn't like the
looks of it and ask where the nearest McDeath's was.

margali

BTW-check stop n shop, the one in Willimantic has mustard greens today[well,
maybe not as many as before-I bought out the display for soupmaking...]