SC - Re: sca-cooking posting

cassie cassie at sally.nas.nasa.gov
Wed May 6 12:54:47 PDT 1998

- --------------8F2D57F43F43A0BCBC7EC8F3

Brokk wrote:

> I'm interested in the recipies for the following dishes:
>
> Broiled Red Snapper in a Red Wine sauce
> Herbed Peas
> Pinenut Custard
>
> Could you please mail them to me?
>
> Haakon af Arnfit.

Here is the Roman course I did for Jingles AS XXXI, the only
dish not listed here was a egg bread, shaped in grape clusters.
I got the bread recipe from Master Wulfric, not from Apicius.

- --
Cassandra Baldassano            cassie at nas.nasa.gov
Sterling Software               (650) 604-6007 or (800) 331-8737 x6007
Supporting:                     M/S 258-6
Systems Control                 NASA Ames Research Center
Database Administration         Moffett Field, CA 94305-1000
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
- --------------8F2D57F43F43A0BCBC7EC8F3

These recipes were derived from two different cookbooks on Apicius.
Apicius Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome, Joseph Dommers Vehling
APICIUS. The Roman Cookery Book., Barbara Flower and Elisabeth Rosenbaum.

I apologize for not having the translations from these sources, but below are
my final recipes. Note in regards to the recipe, Liquamen is called for in
each dish.  Liquamen is a fish sauce not unlike Worchestshire and was brewed
commercially in Roman times according to Flowers & Rosenbaum.  Due to possible
food allergies to fish, I only used it in the Red Snapper dish, in the
others I substituted salt for half the quantity of liquamen.

Condimentum in Rubellionen
Red Snapper with Seasoning

Red Snapper 	8 Filets
Butter	2 TBSP
Flour	2 TBSP
Red Wine	0.50 Cup
Passum	0.50 Cup
Vinegar	1 tsp
Thyme Dry	0.25 tsp
Liquamen	1 tsp
Olive Oil	1 tsp
Pepper (dry)	0.25 tsp
Lovage (fresh, finely chopped)	0.25 TBSP
Caraway (Dry)	0.25 tsp
Celery Seed (Dry)	0.25 tsp
Dried Onion	0.25 tsp

Broil Red Snapper Filets.  Melt Butter in sauce Pan.
Add Flour. Cook Butter and flour to make Roux.

Add liquids, stir until smooth. Add herbs.
Poor over Red Snapper filets.

Conchicla de Pisa Simplici
A simple dish of peas

peas	2 Cups
1 Small Leek
.5 Bunch Coriander
Pepper	.5 tsp
Lovage (fresh)	.5 TBSP
Oregano (dry)	.5 TBSP
liquamen***	2 TBSP
White Wine	.25 Cup
Olive Oil	2 TBSP

Cook peas with bouquet of leeks & coriander, when peas are cooked remove
leeks & Coriander.

In blender, puree leeks, coriander & remaining herbs with 1/4 cup of cooking
liquid & other ingredients.

Place sauce in saucepan with peas and warm.

Aliter Cucumbers
Cucumbers, another Method

2 Cucumbers
pepper	.25tsp
Pennyroyal (Mint) freshly chopped	.5 TBSP
Honey or Passum	1 TBSP
Liquamen***	.5 tsp
Red Wine Vinegar	.5 Cup

Slice cucumbers. Toss Ingredients together in a bowl.

Caroetae Frictae
Fried Carrots

Carrots (sliced)	1 lb
Olive Oil	2 TBSP
White Wine	.25 Cups
Liquamen***	2 TBSP

Fry carrots in Olive oil. Toss with Wine & Liquamen.

Pullus Tractogalatus
Chicken over pasta

1 Whole Chicken
Liquamen*** 	2 TBSP
Oil	2 TBSP
White Wine	1 Cup
Coriander	.5 Bunch
1 Onion
liquamen***	1 tsp
Honey	3 TBSP
Broth	1 Cups
Milk	1 Cups
Pepper	1 tsp
Lovage	1 tsp
Oregano	1 tsp
Butter	4 TBSP
Flour	4 TBSP
Pasta	1 Lb.

Cook Chicken in water, Liquamen, oil, wine, coriander and onion.
Reserver 2 cups of liquid, in a saucepan melt butter, add flour to make roux.
Add liquid, stir until smooth. Add honey and salt. Then add remaining herbs.
Cut chicken into pieces and add to the sauce. Server over cooked pasta.

- --
Duke Cariadoc and I had discussed the issue of using pasta in this dish,
as there were some questions as to whether pasta was used in Roman times.
I did some further researching and found that there was evidence that pasta
was used by the Estrucans. I also discussed this topic with Mistress Jania
of Call Duck Manor, she said she did some research many years ago and
pasta extruders were found in Roman archaeological sites. I have not actually
seen the research that Jania has done, but I think that pasta was known
in Roman times, however it may not have been extensively used as it is today.

Another reason I decided to use pasta (rather than crumbled pastry as the
Flowers & Rosenbaum version does) is that the recipe already calls for a
thickening agent with the flour (which might actually be wheat starch which
I couldn't get at the time.) The idea of using crumbled pastry, which to
me would only add a second thickening agent didn't make sense to me, however
using pasta made more sense.

I also made a roux, instead of thickening the sauce by adding the flour
into the liquid, because I was more familiar with thinning down a roux to
make a sauce as opposed to thickening up a liquid into a sauce. I don't think
the difference would make the end product noticeably different.
- --

Patina Veratilis visi dulcis
Pinenut Custard

Pinenuts (ground)	.5 Cup
honey	.5 Cup
pepper	.25 tsp
liquamen	.25 tsp
milk	3 Cups
eggs	5
white wine	.75 tsp
olive oil	.5 tsp

Beat together eggs, honey, liquamen & Oil.
Gradually beat in milk and wine.
Add ground pine nuts. Pour mix into custard bowl.
Bake at 300º for 1 hour, until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Liquamen
Anchovie sauce

Water	.75 Cup
Salt	.5 tsp
Oregano (fresh)	1 bunch
Anchovies	1 tin
Vinegar (white)	.75 Cup
yields	.75 Cup

Boil ingredients together until rendered by half. Strain until clear.
Store.

- --
Flower & Rosenbaum give several recipes that require fermentation, they
also give a quick recipe which is cooked on the stove, this is the one
I used.
- --

Passum
Raisin Wine

Raisins	1	Cup
Dessert Wine	1	Bottle

Place in saucepan. Reduce to 1/3.
Store.

- --
Passum was a wine made of raisins, I could not find a source for a raisin
wine. But Flowers & Rosenbaum indicated that it should be as sweet as honey.
so I just cooked a dessert wine and raisins together until it was as sweet
according to my taste.
- --

- --------------8F2D57F43F43A0BCBC7EC8F3--