SC - Garlic in British Isles (was: rasher/game birds)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed May 6 14:52:27 PDT 1998

At 4:01 PM -0400 5/1/98, marilyn traber wrote:
>The only thing that really pops into my mind- when did garlic get into
>common use in the British Isles? I seem to think that onions were used more
>often, being local and traditional with game birds...and the use of garlic
>wasn't prevalent in W.W.II...

You certainly get garlic referred to repeatedly in 14th-century English
recipes, as flavoring in various dishes and even as a vegetable on its own:
aquapatys (from Forme of Cury) is boiled garlic with seasonings, served
forth hot.  The word garlic is Anglo-Saxon, meaning (if I remember
correctly) spear-onion.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook