SC - garlic in British Isles

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Thu May 7 21:05:38 PDT 1998

mtraber at email.msn.com writes:

<< However, keep in mind that some of us have allergies to such frequently
used items that when we read the ingredient list, we find that we have paid
for a feast we can't eat>>

Contacting the feastocrat before hand eliminates this problem entirely.

<<Hear, hear! Do you know how many products have either  tropical oils >>

I use lard, chicken fat, and olive oil and occasionally canola which is rape
seed oil.  (from a form of mustard plant). Oh, and emu fat when available. :-)

<<or mushrooms/mushroom extract in them?  >>

Mushrooms are used on their own. Not as an ingredient. In fact I am hard
presssed to be able to find any period recipe where they are an ingredient as
opposed to a flavoring.

So far as "bouillion is concerned, I am unaware that there was such asn item
in period let alone the Middle Ages. The bottom line , I use FRESH ingredients
, no preprocesssed stuff and present a wide enough variety of dishes so that
the most an "allergic" person would miss is one or two dishes. OTH, checking
inadvance of mailing your reservations is the best course of action.

I have only had one person have a reaction tany of my feast dishes and that
person was allergic to lentils. His parents did not call ahead of time; the
lentils were listed on the menu, the parents chose to serve it to the child
anyway. And, NO ONE has ever elft my feasts hungry in the last 11 yrs. The
point> Persons with medically verifiable conditions should call ahead of time.
This eliminates any problems before they occur. Upon arrival at the site check
ingredients lists and menu items .

Cooks should produce a varied menu and avoid modern  "convenience" products
totally.

Ras