SC - temperature conversion

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Fri May 8 23:12:17 PDT 1998

On Sat, 9 May 1998, Seton1355 wrote:

> Could someone on the list please tell me what 190C is in Farinheit?

I will give *three* answers to your question:

1. 190 C = 374 F

2. The equation that describes the relationship is

5*(F-32)
- -------- = C ; where C and F is the temperatures is those units
   9

This is, of course, equivalent to

9*C
- --- + 32 = F
 5

3. For most oven temperatures you can assume that the number is twice as
high in F as in C. This would give 380 F in your case, a difference of
slightly over 1.5%, which should be of no consequence. This relationship
is approximate (except for 160 C/320 C), and clearly invalid for other
temperature ranges (e.g.  32 F = 0 C, -40 F = -40 C, and 4 C = 39.2 F)

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                           parlei(at)algonet.se
http://www.algonet.se/~parlei
Cunning and deceit will every time serve a man better than force.
                 -- Niccolo Machiavelli