SC - Wine Thoughts-OOP

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Sat May 9 14:28:34 PDT 1998

In a message dated 5/9/98 12:56:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time, allilyn at juno.com
writes:

<< Liking sweet white wines, I enjoy Riunite Bianca.  OK, Ras and other
 connoseurs, you can stop throwing up, now.  >>

Riunite on ice is nice! :-) There is a vast difference between a wine
conneseur and a wine bore. I am not in the latter category. There are many
drinkable jug wines. The more I try new wines the more I like all wines.
Vinegary, excessively bitter and acorky are out but you cannot compare a
generic burgundy to a French burgundy and say one is better than the other.
You can compare a generic burgundy to another generic burgundy, etc. and make
a personal judgement call. For instance, after tasting  several dozen merlots,
both imported and domestic I have concluded that Walnut Crest Merlot is the
best take home and drink tonight merlot. Cost: $5.99. Consumer Reports came to
the same conclusion.

Also you mention magnums versus fifths. It is generally excepted that wine
ages slower and better in magnum size bottles so it is not surprising that any
given year would taste better in the fifth because the magnum is slower in
aging. :-)

If I have put across the impression that i am a wine bore, my apologies
because the opposite is true. I enjoy a great wine but that does not preclude
enjoying other wines , each judged on their own merits. In fact, my favorite
wine is a strawberry wine that I make myself using sherry yeast. :-) Yesterday
I had a medium priced pinot noir that had a lovely nose reminding me of a well
used barnyard. Great stuff! :-)

Ras