SC - Allergies & chivalry

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon May 11 07:19:34 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
Kiriel speaks of feasts in her kingdom...
I would suggest that its not just a cultural difference. It's also a
philosophical difference.
There are those who cook for themselves, and feel that the ends justify the
means. If the masses are happily fed, then their job is done. I used to
fall in that category, till I took on the fun of doing period food rather
than peri-oide.

There are those of us who cook not only to feed, but also to educate.
Fortunately in my experience, these too goals are not exclusive by any
means...one can accomplish both at the same time to wonderful results.

By my experience, if you take a period recipe, one that you have carefully
reconstructed and tested so many times that your friends and family dread
the sight of it :), you have little fear of it "not being good enough" at
curtain time, so there will be no need of "creativity" at the last minute.
Those who produce period recipes that are icky or wierd just haven't done
their homework, in my opinion. Even if you have no interest in doing your
own reserach, there are tons of sources, books and individuals out there
who have done this for years and years who can share their sources with
you.

I recongise that on this list, there's both categories of people. That's
fine. We all have our spins and the rules of the SCA mean there's room for
everyone. Me, I'm a control freak...I cant imagine walking into a kitchen
without recipes that had been tested within an inch of their lives, a
complete slate of groceries (I HATE last minute runs), and a completely
mapped out kitchen schedule. For me, the need for "creativity" means a lack
of planning. Type A? Who, me? :)

- --AM