SC - Allergies

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Mon May 11 08:21:12 PDT 1998

Food allergies can take a much different form that sniffles, anaphylaxis or
hives. There is a common allergy to wheat for example. If an infant is
allergic to wheat, cows milk or even soy products[the 3 most common] they
will not thrive. How many people have you known who have had a child grow up
[or even die in late infancy] that the grannies said was just plain sickly?
They were colicky, and cried a lot, just stayed the runt of the litter, got
any illness that was going around? There stood a very good chance that they
were allergic to something in the diet. One of our members gets colitis when
exposed to her allergies, I can die from mushrooms. I also don't think that
many people in areas with less of a knee jerk reaction to medicine[lets send
that sickly kid to an allergist...] would get the battery of diagnostic
tests that we do in America. I was having chronic ear infections and got
sent to an allergist when I was 8 and had lost most of the hearing in my
right ear to an infection. I was tested for everything under the sun and we
were informed about allergies that I would have never come across in our
lifestyle. I am allergic to goat hair and meat. it is also probably why I
detest goat cheese, but as a city person growing up in upstate New York in
the 60s, I never would have come into contact with a goat. In Jamaica, there
would be almost no way I wouldn't come in contact with a goat. If I had an
allergy to porcini mushrooms, I would have never come into contact with one
until the late 70 early 80s when they came into popularity in nouvelle
cuisine. If I lived in Ethiopia, would I come into contact with a porcini
mushroom?
I think our list allergies sufferers and people we know who suffer are just
more exposed to odd foods/nonregional foods then some areas, not that we are
more predillected to allergies than others.
margali