SC - Re: sca-flavor substitutes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon May 11 15:09:06 PDT 1998

At 11:47 PM -0700 5/9/98, Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:
>Hi all from Anne-Marie.
>
>I'm told that rue, for example can be replaced by the non-abortifacent
>mint. Never having tasted rue (I get twitchy at the potential of messing
>with hormonal balances, go figure), I cant vouch for this. Anyone got a
>patch of the stuff, is not planning on breeding anytime soon and be willing
>to give us a taste test?

We have grown our own rue and used it in cooking in small quantities.  I
have never noticed any effect on hormone balance or anything else.  It has
a bitter, not particularly minty taste.  I suspect that you need worry
about abortifacent effects only in much larger quantities than anyone would
want to eat it--I can't imagine anyone liking bitter that much.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook