SC - Food Tithe Stone Soup Feast

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Tue May 12 09:30:35 PDT 1998

Has anyone ever tried a feast where people bring a
certain alotment of food...say any one of
1/2 pound meat(no organs) or cheese, or a dozen eggs
1 pound of vegetables(need not be all the same)
2-3 pounds of a grain

to you the night before a meal and then you created
an interesting meal out of it adding herbs and spices, etc?

I have done this with a mix of modern and period items
for a modern meal, and think it would be fun to do
with all period items.  Does anyone else think this would
be fun to try (or eat :-) ?) ?
If so what do you think would be the most equitable way
to set up the food catgories, so you would have enough
food in each and make the potential costs equivalent (no
limit to those who want to donate extra, but fair minimums
for the many who are living in frugal times)?  To promote
some variety, a certain percent
could bring the protein, and a certain percent the vegetables, etc.
For nearly every potluck type meal I have ever done, the
variety usually works itself out naturally, but I once went
to a modern potluck which normally brought a good variety of
wonderful stuff and 31 (literally, I counted) of the 100
families at the event brought large bags of chips as their
sole contribution.  My guess is a large number of the
group were feeling very stressed simultaneously and all
had the same great idea.  But I'd rather skip finding
out what the medieval equivalent of that might be :-).
...Although 30 pounds of potatoes would be more fun than
say, 30 pounds of celery.  But anyway those are some
experiences that led me to want to consider those aspects
in advance.

Sharon
gordonse at one.net