SC - Frittours

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue May 12 22:36:01 PDT 1998

At 8:50 AM -0400 5/12/98, LrdRas wrote:
>Common? Please share sourses and/or recipes, please. :-)

There is a whole heap of fritter/fried pastry recipes in the Miscellany;
original sources include 14th and 15th c. English, Platina (he calls them
fricatellae), and (depending on how you define fritter) Islamic.

>First, what is your definition ofrittours? I tend to think of them as a main
>ingredient (e.g. aplles, corn (OOP), united with a starchy batter and fried or
>deep-fried (e.g. possibly OOP). Be that as it may, funnel cakes are frittour-
>like and , SFAIK, period documentable. These tasties are sprinkled with
>powdered sugar and are tasty warm or room temperature. :-)

Yes.  Mincebek (from mis-en-bec = put in funnel) is a funnel cake recipe
from the Anglo-Norman cookbook; it has a sugar syrup on it rather than
powdered sugar.

Mincebek [or, funnel cakes]
Anglo-Norman no. 4 p. 863 (Elizabeth's translation, guided by theirs)

And another dish, which has the name mincebek.  Take amydon [wheat starch]
and grind it in a mortar, and if you do not have this, take fine white
flour; and take almond milk or tepid water, and put in it a little yeast or
a little sourdough; and then temper it; and take a bowl and make a hole in
the middle, and pour the mincebek through the hole into oil or into grease;
and then take sugar and make a syrup to boil; and dip[?] the mincebek in
it, and put some on top [or, put salt on it]; and then serve them. [end of
original]

1 c white flour
1 c whole wheat flour
2 c water for dough
1/4 c sourdough
1/2 c water for syrup
2 c sugar
oil for frying

Mix sourdough and water, stir into the mixed flour, stirring until pretty
smooth. Let rise about 7 hours. Heat oil in frying pan. For syrup, bring
water to a boil, add sugar and cover. When the sugar is dissolved and the
syrup again clear, it is ready. Pour some of batter into a funnel and
dribble around into oil at a medium heat, then fry until brown, turning at
least once. Each mincebek comes out of the oil onto a paper towel to drain
briefly, then is dipped (tongs are useful) into the syrup, then onto the
plate to serve.

>Last Clash of the Peons, I did, or rather tried to do apple frittour-like
>thingies and found that it was impossible to keep up with the demand. So I
>would tend to believe that tyhey were not served to the masses but rather used
>at more formal intimate get togethers although I have no documentation for
>this.
>
>Ras

The largest feast I have done fritters for was about 50 people, I think,
and that worked.  For more people, you might have a fritter assembly line
running in the kitchen, with servers whisking them away as soon as they are
ready, starting with high table; you would need a fair amount of available
cooks' time and a free stove to manage this.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook