SC - Re: SC sotelties - cockatrice

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed May 13 11:22:59 PDT 1998

Charles Ragnar asked:

>> Does anybody know of documentation for the practice of sewing different
>> bits of animals together, or is it just folklore?

and Adamantius answered:

>See "Cokagrys" in The Forme of Cury, #183 or thereabouts, and "For to
>make two pecys of flessh to fasten togyder.", #198, q.v. Actual recipe
>numbers may vary from edition to edition, but they're there. I'd say the
>practice is pretty well documented.

Cokagrys.  Take and make (th)e self fars, but do (th)erto pynes and sugar.
Take an hold rostr cok; pulle hym and hylde hym al togyder saue (th)e
legges.  Take a pigg and hilde hym fro (th)e myddes dounward; fulle him ful
of (th)e fars, & sowe hym fast togeder.  Do hym in a panne & see(th) hym
wel, and whan (th)ei bene isode: do hem on a spyt & rost it wele.  Colour
it with yolkes of ayren and safroun.  Lay (th)eron foyles of gold and of
silver, and serue hit forth.

Translation/spelling modernization: Cockatrice.  Take and make the same
stuffing [this is the preceeding recipe: ground raw pork, eggs, powder
fort, saffron, salt, currents], but do thereto pine nuts and sugar.  Take a
whole roast cock; pull him and skin him altogether except for the legs.
Take a pig and skin him from the middle downward; fill him full of the
stuffing, & sew him fast together.  Do him in a pan & boil him well, and
when they be boiled: do him on a spit & roast it well.  Colour it with
yolkes of eggs and saffron.  Lay thereon gold and silver leaf, and serve it
forth.

Madeleine des Milles Roses did pair of cocketrices for a Middle Kingdom
Coronation several years back; one of them had colored shortbread armor
resembling the new king's, and the other wore a ruff of the general style
the new queen was accustomed to wear. All tables but high table got stuffed
roast pork that course.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook