SC - a wonderful culinary experience...

kat kat at kagan.com
Tue May 26 13:45:08 PDT 1998

Listfolk,

	I had the distinct pleasure this past weekend of meeting a fellow SCA cook and getting to work with him in a kitchen.  Mark
(Balthazar FitzGriffin) is no longer on this list but I understand he still has acquaintances on here and I really really wanted to share... <G>

	The occasion was the mundane wedding of an SCA friend of mine from out here to an SCA friend of his from the Middle.  Mark was flown out to California from Wisconsin to cater the reception and
I was fortunate enough to get to spend the entire day prior to the wedding "playing" in the kitchen with him.

	The food was incredible and I learned an amazing amount (and managed to pry away from him the recipe for his red onion marmalade <G>..)  He had a rather harrowing adventure with grilling
tri-tip, which those of you who know him should definitely ask him about when he gets back... ;-)

	Wedding guests were greeted with a lovely appetizer buffet of veggies, meats and cheeses, a lovely antipasto assortment of olives,
marinated mushrooms, etc., plus the aforementioned red onion marmalade on tiny oval croutons.
	Luncheon was served about an hour in, and consisted of grilled tri-tip, oven-roasted herbed potatoes, grilled vegetables,
wonderful sausages (including ostrich!) from a local company, pasta salad, Chinese chicken salad, green salad in (my) raspberry vinaigrette, and fresh fruit with a divine yogurt-cinnamon dip.  The
food was absolutely phenomenal.  The garnishes were nothing short of gorgeous.

	My husband and I also got the distinct pleasure of being able to take Mark (and some friends) restauranting in Monterey.  It's always such a pleasure to watch a professional appreciating a perfect dish...

	Just wanted to share the warm glow of a great weekend with all of you, before getting too seriously back into the work week...

		- kat, who is now just a teeny bit less jealous that I can't make it to Pennsic to meet all the *rest* of you...