SC - Armored Rape???

Ceridwen ceridwen at commnections.com
Thu May 28 11:26:21 PDT 1998

Adamantius, and all:
   I have Gerard : In the latin index, it refers to rapum as
radish.(Gerards Latin "raphanus orbiculatus" or "raphanus
pyriformis").why?... dunno, they are related but I guess the latin
naming practices have changed. I doubt that is what is referred to in
the recipe. Other rapes include turnips,  (Gerards latin "rapum majus
and rapum radice oblonga")which gerard says should be eaten boiled,
while radish is to be eaten raw with bread or ground as a sauce for
meats. No mention is made of eating the tops of either as greens. The
wild turnip (Gerard "rapum sylnestre") is the one used for rapeseed oil
according to him. I suspect we were right all along to use the root of
the turnip, and not the tops of it or other greens. Beets were commonly
used for greens rather than roots, but are not in the rape family.
Confusion reigns.
Ceridwen