Alcohol bafflement [was SC - whats an inn?]

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Fri May 29 05:51:59 PDT 1998

Bonne said...
<snip>
>Why? Because this is the bible belt honey-you still can't even by liquor by
>the drink in many counties.

Not that alcohol is EXTREMELY important for me but its been years since I've
been to a dry event. I can't really fathom the theory behind the present day
reasoning of this? I would think that the powers that be that created these
laws prohibiting sale, consumption, etc would see that they would just be
promoting other illegal ways of obtaining alcohol. We are, after all, a
small AND resourceful world now!

And then you said...
>Around here, we get a lot of what is referred to as "discreetly wet".  Which
>means, that the BoD of whoever owns the camp (YMCA, church organization, civic
>club) has declared the camp alcohol free because it's usual use is to teach
>children to be fine upstanding and sober citizens.  However, at some point the
>site manager has mentioned that noone is going to come inspecting.  Which
>leaves the group renting the site to theorize that if alcohol is not consumed
>from it's original container, and no original containers are spotted in the
>garbage, well then, obviously nobody was drinking alcohol. (I've noticed this
>phenomenon with non-SCA groups renting such sites as well, so it's not just
>SCA making the assumption.)

Since when does sobriety equate integrity or upstanding citizenship? <grin>

I honestly believe that we, as individuals, should be our own "liquour
control board" and make those decision for ourselves. I am also an activist
in appealing censorship laws as well (also know as the Frank Zappa
Movement).  You know, if ya don't like it, change the channel, don't rent
it, or buy it, or listen to it, etc. I'll bet I wouldn't be too popular with
most of the denizens of "the bible belt", especially since I'm Catholic! <haha>

Micaylah
~who perhaps has lived on the border of the province of Quebec (where there
are next to no laws regarding alcohol) for way too long~