SC - Subing????

Shari Burnham pndarvis at execpc.com
Fri May 29 06:47:28 PDT 1998

david friedman wrote:

> >Actually I found that if you have a bit of venison you are worried
> >about being gamey, we (meaning Kateryn and I) found a Middle Eastern
> >recipe that is completely period that uses vegetable broth that has a
> >strong onion base and rosemary for broiling the venison first.  You
> >then add the braised or broiled chunks with whole beans like large
> >green beans and stewed tomatos, plus some more of the broth.
>
> 1. Source? It doesn't sound like anything in any of the period Islamic
> cookbooks I am familiar with.

Sorry, I stand corrected from Kateryn.  The broth and use of braised meat and
beans is period, the tomatos are an addition to the recipe from her mother, who
is Lebanese.  She got the broth recipe from one of her herbal books when she was
checking on rosemary, I will have her look it up and tell me which book, I
thought she said Culpepper's but I could be wrong.  (I will ask her when I get
home.)

> 2.  Do you have evidence for the use of tomatoes in Middle Eastern cooking
> before 1600?

I will ask Kateryn on this one, too, since she is the one who did the middle
eastern recipe research.  I remember her saying something about tomatoes and
certain fruits that were consumed in the Islamic areas of NE Africa and ME
before these fruits,etc were traded northward.  Would you happen to have any
additional source info/documentation that I could cross reference?  Now I really
want to do more digging!