SC - Subing????

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri May 29 18:37:35 PDT 1998

At 2:09 PM -0400 5/29/98, Angie Malone wrote:

>>The only period reference to eating tomatoes I know of refers to Italy in
>>the sixteenth century. I don't know of any period 16th c. Islamic
>>cookbooks; there is a 15th c. one which (of course) does not mention
>>tomatoes.
>>
>What is this period reference?  I am curious since I've heard much about
>this tomato debate in many SCA circles, but never knew of any sources.

I think the modern reference is:
Longone, Jan, From the Kitchen, The American Magazine and Historical
Chronicle Vol. 3 No. 2 1987-88.

My comment in the Miscellany is:

"The first European reference to the tomato is apparently one in a book
published in Venice in 1544; it describes the tomato as having been brought
to Italy "in our time" and eaten in Italy "fried in oil and with salt and
pepper.""

Which I think was based on Longone.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/