SC - Compost recipe

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Fri May 1 01:36:59 PDT 1998

Sorry to re-open an old topic, I'm still catching up...

Ras wrote:
>Yep, it's mine. :-) Problem was I call it something else entirely in my modern
>kitchen. :-) Sorry. The liquid measurements are accurate for the way I do it
>because as the harvest season progresses I add more of the fruits and veggies
>to it as the season progresses. I don't exactly know what the reduced amounts
>of liquid would be. The consistency should be like a relish (maybe slightly
>more liquidy so the main ingredients are submersed). Hope this helps.

Here is a redaction of the same recipie from "The Medieval Cookbook" by
Maggie Black, published by British Museum Press. This is a nice book which
*does* include the original with the redaction.

COMPOST

900g/2 lb  mixed parsley roots, carrots, turnip and radishes
450g/1 lb white cabbage
450g/1 lb hard eating pears
6 Tbsp salt
1 Tsp ground ginger
1/2 Tsp saffron threads
2 cups white wine vinegar
50g/2oz currants
2 1/2 cups fruity white wine
6 Tbsp clear honey
1 Tsp french mustard
1/8 Tsp each cinnamon and pepper
1/4 Tsp each anise and fennel seed
50g/2oz white sugar

Prepare the root vegetables and slice them thinly. Core and shred the
cabbage. Put these vegetables into a large pan of water and bring slowly to
the boil. Peel, core and cut up the pears and add them to the pan. Cook
until they start to soften. Drain the contents of the pan and spread in a
5cm/2in layer in a shallow non-metallic dish. Sprinkle with the salt,
saffron, ginger and 4 Tbsp of vinegar. Leave covered for 12 hours. Rinse
well, then add the currants. Pack into sterilised storage jars, with at
least 2.5cm/1in headspace.
Put the wine and honey in a pan. Bring to simmering point and skim. Add the
rest of the vinegar and all the remaining spices and sugar. Reduce the heat
and stir without boiling until the sugar dissolves. Bring back to the boil.
Pour over the vegetables, covering them with 1cm/ 1/2in linquid. Cover with
vinegar proof seals and store.

Rowan

Robyn Probert
Customer Service Manager		Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager		Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Lawpoint Pty Limited			Sydney NSW  Australia