SC - Ymages in suger (with original recipe)

Erin Kenny Erin.Kenny at sofkin.ca
Fri May 1 03:08:53 PDT 1998

>From Curye on Inglische, Part V:  Goud Kokery.
Recipe #15:  Ymages in suger  MS Source: Harl. 2378

To make ymages in suger.  And if 3e will make any ymages or any o[th]er
[th]ing in suger [th]at is casten in moldys, sethe [th]em in [th]e same manere
[th]at [th]e plate is, and poure it into [th]e moldes in [th]e same
manere [th]at [th]e plate is pouryde, but loketh 3oure mold be
anoyntyd before wyth a litell oyle of almaundes.  Whan [th]ei are
oute of [th] moylde 3e mow gylde [th]em or colour [th]em as 3e will.
3if 3e will gilde [th]em or siluer [th]em, noynte [th]em wyth gleyre
of an egge and gilde [th]em or siluer [th]em, and if 3e will make
[th]em rede take a litell gum araby, and [th]an anoynt it all abowte
and make it rede.  And 3if 3e will make it grene, take ynde wawdeas
ii penywey3te, | ii penyweyte of saffron, [th]e water of [th]e gleyr
of ii egges, and stampe all wele togeder and anoynte it wyth all.
And if 3e will make it lightly grene, put more saffron [th]erto.  And
in [th]is maner mow 3e caste alle manere froytes also, and colour it
wyth [th]e same colour as diuerse as 3e will, and [th]er [th]at [th]e
blossom of [th]at per of apel schull stand put [th]erto a clowe &
[th]er [th]e stalke schall stand makes [th]at of kanell.

The [th] character is the funky character that looks sort of like a
wierd p.  The 3 looks a lot like a 3 in my book.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.  I think we are going to try
both wooden and plaster molds.  I guess the first thing I'll do is
try recipe 13 (To make sugar plate), because this recipe builds on
it. (It's going to take my hubby a little while to carve me a mold
anyhow.)

Has anyone out there done sugar plate?  I don't mean the paste kind
of stuff.  I can post the original if it would help, but I have no
idea how to "clarify" sugar.  Thanks

Claricia Nyetgale