SC - homemade mustard

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun May 3 21:42:04 PDT 1998

>Does someone on the list have a recipe for homemade msutard?
>Than you in advance.
>Phillipa Seton
My Lady,
	This is not a period recipie, (although, having read the post
that listed one, this is not far from it), but rather one from a (I
shudder to mention this) Sunset Book - Gifts From Your Kitchen.  I made
this for Christmas this year, and I am sold!  It is so easy to do, and
the results are just great.

French Old-Fashioned Mustard

Soak 1/2 cup White Mustard Seeds and
1 Tbsp. Dry Mustard in
1/2 cup cold water for 3 hours.
	In a 1 - 2 quart noncorrodible pan,
combine 1/2 cup each:white wine vinegar and dry white wine;
1 small onion, chopped, (or 1/2 cup chopped shallots);
2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced;
1 tsp. each salt and sugar;
1/2 tsp. dry tarragon;
1 bay leaf;
1/8 tsp. each ground allspice and ground turmeric.
	Simmer, uncovered over medium heat until reduced by half, (10 -
15 min.)  Pour liquid through a wire strainer into mustard seed mixture;
whirl in a blender until coarsely ground.  Cook in the top of a double
boiler over simmering water, stirring occasionaly, until thickened (8 -
12 minutes).  Let cool, pack into a jar or crock, and cover tightly.
Store in a refrigerator for at least 3 days or up to 2 years.  Makes
about 1 cup.

Other spiced recipies include Dijon-style -use 1/2 cup water and 1 cup
dry mustard.   For Honey-Dijon, add dark corn syrup and honey.
Green peppercorn - as above with 2 tbsp. minced green peppercorns.
Spiced German - use cider vinegar, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, dill
seeds, tarragon and turmeric.
I actually used Hot Chinese Mustard Seeds in the Old-Fashioned recipie,
and it is very good, with just a hint of bite when you bite into a seed.
I don't like hot stuff, and this isn't hot, just a little piquant.  Yum.

Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies