SC - *OP* fillers for meatloaf *OP*

kat kat at kagan.com
Mon May 4 14:49:55 PDT 1998

Stefan asks about using oatmeal as a filler in meatloaf.

***Mundanely speaking,*** having been raised in a family that still remembers the Depression "verywellthankyouverymuch" <G>; I can testify that you can use darn near anything as a filler for meatloaf.

Oatmeal?  Check.  Breadcrumbs?  Yes, but only if the bread is stale beyond redemption; otherwise why waste it.  Cracker crumbs?  Yep.  Stale cereal?  You bet.  I've had meatloaf made with barley, with leftover rice... you name it, if it's starchy, you can put it in meatloaf.

My Dad also has several recipes for "mock" meatloaf, including one made from lentils and one made from ground carrots.  His "mock ham loaf" is a family legend, even though it's nothing but a scant amount of bacon ends & pieces, and a huge amount of crushed crackers.

They say necessity is the mother of invention.  Well, my Dad is living proof.  He can take a half box of stale cereal and a half jar of jelly that's gone to sugar, and make the best cookies you've ever tasted.

What's heartbreaking is that, since he's a 'head' cook, not a 'book' cook, it's nigh impossible to get his recipes, since they're wildly different every time... guess I'm going to have to go home and visit for a week or two, and start following him around with a videocamera...

	 - kat