SC - Peas, Please

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue May 5 08:52:12 PDT 1998

>So, I feel confident that I can use split peas for "white peas" in any
>application where they are cooked to moosh and skimmed.
>
>--Anne-Marie
Not to argue your conclusion ( I have gone to considerable trouble to
find documentation on certain foods, only to find that my original
instinct to use the modern equivalent was right), but from the
Florilegium files, this statement:

Green Peas
1. Sugar Peas (mange-tout) introduced to France in 1600 CE from Holland
2. Green Peas (petit pois) introduced to France in 1660 CE by the Sieur
Audiger returning from a mission to Genoa where he had hoped to learn the
secret of making liquers.  The Comte de Soissons shelled the peas.  They
were prepared and served in tiny dishes - one for the Queen, one for the
Cardinal and the King and his brother each had a tiny dish of them.  The
official pronouncement was, " All declared with one voice that nothing
could be better or more of a novelty, and that nothing like them,  in
that season, had ever been seen in France before".

3. Split peas introduced as food at the end of the Victorian Age.

Sources - Food in History - Tannahil, History of Food, The Fieldbook of
Natural History, and The Catalogue of Foods.

As you can see Stephan, I got into the Files just fine!

Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies