SC - period food turns people away?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue May 5 10:31:56 PDT 1998

At 11:18 AM -0400 5/5/98, Varju wrote:

>My frustration stems from the fact that my interest is in areas where we have
>in some cases just enough information about period cooking to pique an
>interest, but not enough to make a feast from.

What a fine incentive to do research. What areas are these? Where and when
is your persona from?

>And while there are some close
>to period sources availible, there is always the problem of language and the
>time needed for translation.  It leaves me where I'm always torn between being
>true to my persona and doing more period cooking.  So far, I have chosen to be
>true to my persona.

I'm not sure what this means. Are you saying that you do feasts using
modern recipes from your persona's area, on the theory that they are closer
to accurate than period recipes from several thousand miles away? Or are
you doing standard SCA "medievalish" feasts--i.e. beef stew--in which case
you are being accurate to neither your persona nor period?

>Is it a bad choice?  I'm not sure, but i know it is MY
>choice to focus on my studies of what is period for me in clothing, embroidery
>and leatherwork at this time.

That is a perfectly reasonable choice--but it still leaves you with the
option of being as authentic as your available information permits.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/