SC - Garlic

Melanie Wilson MelanieWilson at compuserve.com
Wed May 6 23:19:36 PDT 1998

>A couple of dear english friends of mine grouse that in England
people claim to be alergic to garlic, because they are afraid of garlic
breath.

HU ? never heard that I'm English live in England and love garlic. We eat
loads of Indian food and chicken stuffed with garlic (that gives you garlic
skin not just garlic breath), baked garlic, and so on.

>I would think that this would imply that garlic as a food spice is fairly
rare.

Do you mean now or in the past ? Either way except for a recent modern
period lasting up until maybe the 1970s ,(it tended to be used crushed and
the extract used -but was not that common) I would have to disagree. It was
used in Anglo Saxon times, probaly not the varieties we use now, but
certainly used.  Rare no way now, I can go to most grocery shops and buy it
by the pound , in parts of the city you can get several types.

Mel