SC - Cooking Wine-OOP

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Thu May 7 21:47:28 PDT 1998

In a message dated 5/8/98 12:20:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time, korny at zikzak.net
writes:

<< Hmm - as a liquor store customer, I've had exactly the opposite experience.
 I was looking at wine for cooking, and foolishly mentioned this fact to the
 callow youth who was at the counter.  He immediately tried to sell me the
 cheapest wine they had, and was aghast that I was 'wasting' good wine on
 cooking.  :-}

 -Korny >>

Since I work at a specialty wine and spirits shop and have received extensive
training in wine, both tasting and all other aspects of it's use and
consumption (as have the other clerks who work at my store) I find this
appalling!  I would have demanded to see the owner/manager immediately and
complained of the clerk's lack of product knowledge and marketing skills.

When I have a customer inquire about cooking wine, I always ask what price
range they are talking and then point them out to the best value for their
money.  Believe me expensive does not mean good. ( A particular 1995 Mondavi
Cabernet Sauvignon comes to mind as well as a Rothschild ($100) that is to put
it bluntly pig swill.  For quality combined with reasonable prices Chilean
wines provide the best of both worlds.  For medium priced wines that have a
distinctive character and surprising depth the Australian wines can't be beat.

If you only have 4 bucks to spend on a bottle of wine then rest assured if I
am your salesman you will walk out of the store with the best damned 4 dollar
wine money can buy. :-)

So far as boxed wines go, the fact that a wine is in a box does not make it
any less of a wine.  Peter Vella products are very good and are distinctively
varietal in flavor with surprising complexity and depth.

The bottom line> if the clerk serving you seems insensitive to your needs,
find a wine store that employs people who have a love for wine.  If the clerk
works for the PLCB then fill out a customer comment card and COMPLAIN,
repeating as often as necessary until the clerk is retrained to do his/her job
appropriately.  All PLCB clerks take basic wine knowledge courses, many have
advanced training and some of us have went on to the master's class.

The above is my opinion alone and does not reflect the views of all enophiles.
:-)

Ras