SC - Allergy rant - was garlic in British Isles

Kiriel & Chris kiriel at cybergal.com
Fri May 8 08:38:50 PDT 1998

Last year in January, I stewarded a feast for 250 people.  Before the
feast, I had exactly 2 people tell me of their allergies.  At the event
those two people had dishes especially cooked for them, and they were
pointed out specifically to the servers serving their table.

Post the event, I heard third hand complaints about people not having
their dietary quirk catered to.  It annoyed the hell out of me.. I
actually wrote an article for our Principality newsletter on feast
courtesy, which I have not gotten around to sending in (my temper has
cooled since then) which points out some of this stuff.  Things like; if
you want to get in at poverty rates, call more than 2 days before the
event.

If I cater a feast, I cater to vegetarians, and allergies to wheat and
dairy.  That is it, unless otherwise notified.

I don't list out all my ingredients, I am too busy cooking with them to
be spending all day typing them out; and besides, it may be that I have
some secret blend of herbs and spices I don't want to share!  (ask
anyone who has had my hedgehogs whether I will reveal all their
ingredients)

I list out the menu, with a code beside it: V for vegetarian, D for
dairy free and W for wheat free.
If I have been notified of others, I will list the dishes that are free
of that ingredient.

After 14 years of catering feasts I am pretty impatient with on-the-spot
allergies. It seems common courtesy to inform the cooks of your allergy
if you expect them to cater to it, but it is quite amazing how many do
not! If people come in to the kitchen, I assume that means they are
there to help wash up; anyone who comes to my door to demand special
service tends to disappear in a hurry!

Hmmm... reading the above, it seems I have not entirely cooled down
after all, maybe I shall print that article after all. And I was not
even the cook!

Kiriel du Papillon
Lochac
West