SC - advice/help: shish kebabs period?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri May 8 22:59:00 PDT 1998

At 1:12 PM -0700 5/8/98, kat wrote:
>Hi listfolk!  kat here, with yet another question...
>
>	Can anyone give an estimation of whether the concept of shish kebab
>is period?

The 13th c. Andalusian cookbook has one recipe that says: "Take pieces of
meat without bones and cut them as for shishkebab." So assuming the
translation can be trusted--and Charles Perry, the translator, knows more
about medieval Islamic cooking than anyone else I know--the answer to your
question is yes.

I believe, incidentally, that "kebab" simply means "meatball," although I'm
not certain.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/