SC - Re: sca-flavor substitutes

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Sat May 9 23:01:32 PDT 1998

Hi List,

We've recently had several wonderful sets of recipes.  In one, salt was
substituted for murri, in another salt was substituted for liquimen,
although Worchestershire sauce was also used.  As I recall His Grace's
directions for murri, it's a lot more complicated than salt, and I think
liquimen is, too.

 What do other people use as substitutes for these or other specialties
that were available in medieval and rennaissance markets but not in ours?
 I can't use Worchestershire sauce, because a friend is allergic to fish,
and I'm allergic to pepper.  I've used soy sauce on occasion.

Another friend, not too far away, is highly allergic to lemon or any type
of citrus--no phony allergy, either, I've listened to her trying to
breathe until the medication works.  What can you use to keep fruit from
turning brown when you can't use lemon?

Substitutions was one of the suggestions for a class for Ruath to teach.
Why wait for a University?  :-)

Regards,

Lady Allison
allilyn at juno.com
Master Chirurgeon, Orden des Linquistringes, Princess' Order of Courtesy