SC - Re: sca-flavor substitutes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun May 10 07:54:55 PDT 1998

> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 01:01:32 -0500
> From: allilyn at juno.com (LYN M PARKINSON)
> Subject: SC - Re: sca-flavor substitutes
>
> Hi List,
>
>  What do other people use as substitutes for these or other specialties
> that were available in medieval and rennaissance markets but not in ours?
>  I can't use Worchestershire sauce, because a friend is allergic to fish,
> and I'm allergic to pepper.  I've used soy sauce on occasion.

It helps to think about what characteristic ingredient or component is
most necessary to do the job the condiment or spice is used for. Salt is
a good substitute for liquamen inasmuch as liquamen is salty. That's
more important, at least for most people now, than the fact that it is
somewhat redolent of fish oils. Regardless of the talk of anchovies in
Worcestershire sauce, the fact is that the main ingredients are salt and
vinegar, with some Tamarind extract, which is somewhat redundant in the
presence of vinegar. So, salt for liquamen, vinegar (especially malt)
for Worcestershire, etc.

> Another friend, not too far away, is highly allergic to lemon or any type
> of citrus--no phony allergy, either, I've listened to her trying to
> breathe until the medication works.  What can you use to keep fruit from
> turning brown when you can't use lemon?

Crushing a vitamin C tablet (usually ascorbic acid and not much more)
and either mixing the powder in directly, or making a strong water
solution from it, usually helps in some cases, but then I don't know
what it is about citrus that sets off your friend. It might be that the
vitamin C tablet would produce a similar effect.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com