SC - deviled eggs info source

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun May 10 08:58:28 PDT 1998

I know I've posted it before, but here it is again.
enjoy!
oh, and of course if you choose to reprint it, please let me know, etc etc
etc.
If you need specific citation info, let me know as the footnotes dont
transport well.

- --AM

STUFFED EGGS: This version tastes very similar to the familiar modern
deviled egg (sans paprika, of course). There is an earlier version in
Epilario , but la Varenne updates it by omitting the very medieval sauce of
vinegar and spices and using instead fresh herbs to flavor. These eggs
travel well and are an easy and elegant potluck or tourney dish. Prepare
the egg yolks and put into a zip lock bag, and put the halved egg whites
into another. When you're ready to serve, snip off one corner of the bag
with the yolk stuffing in it and fill the egg halves by squeezing the
plastic bag like a pastry bag.

1. Eggs farced [la Varenne #1 p294]
Take sorrell, alone if you will, or with other herbs, wash and swing them,
then mince them very small, and put between two dishes with fresh butter,
or passe them in the panne; after they are passed, soak and season them;
after your farce is sod, take some hard eggs, cut them into halfs, a
crosse, or in length, and take out the yolks, and mince them with your
farce, and after all is well mixed, stew them over the fire, and put to it
a little nutmeg, and serve garnished with the whites of your eggs which you
may make brown in the pan with brown butter.

Our version:
2T butter
1 T dill, minced
6 hardboiled eggs
2 green onions, minced
1 pinch salt
1 tsp fresh savory, minced
1 tsp fresh sorrell, minced
1 T balsamic vinegar
pinch nutmeg

Cut eggs in half longwise, and remove yolk. Sautee savory, sorell, green
onion and dill in 1 T of the butter. Add the vinegar, salt, nutmeg and rest
of the butter. Mix the egg yolks with the sauteed herb stuff, and stir over
low heat till smooth and thick. Fill the egg white halves and serve. If you
wish, you may fry the egg white halves in brown butter before filling, but
we found that this makes them rubbery.
Makes 12 filled egg halves, with some leftover stuffing goop. Oh darn.

- ----------
> From: maddie teller-kook <meadhbh at io.com>
> To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
> Subject: Re: SC - deviled eggs info source
> Date: Sunday, May 10, 1998 8:37 AM
>
> Would love to see your 'deviled egg' recipe. I am doing an Antipasto for
lunch
> (along with an italian feast) next week. The eggs would be perfect for
lunch.
> I'll let you know how it turns out!
>
> Meadhbh
>
> Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:
>
> > HI all from Anne-Marie
> > re: stuffed/deviled eggs
> > I know theres a version in Epilario, as well as one in la Varenne. Both
are
> > very reminicent of devilled eggs.
> >
> > --AM

SCA-Cooks".