SC - Re: sca-flavor substitutes

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sun May 10 19:37:05 PDT 1998

> > Another friend, not too far away, is highly allergic to lemon or any
> type
> > of citrus--no phony allergy, either, I've listened to her trying to
> > breathe until the medication works.  What can you use to keep fruit
> from
> > turning brown when you can't use lemon?

> Anti-browning agents are acids to prevent oxidation......vinegar has
> worked for me as a substitute, but be sure to rinse if not wanting the
> flavor hints.

You can also prevent oxidation by preventing oxygen from getting to the
apples.  Last feast I went to, cooked apple slices were part of the dessert
course.  Next morning when I was helping clean the kitchen, I was given a
ziplock bag containing butter coated uncooked apple slices. I don't know why
the apples had been coated in melted butter before cooking, but took them home
along with all the other leftovers that are the clean up crews reward. I
cooked a handful in each morning's oatmeal all week, those remaining in the
bag never browned.