SC - Suspicious Allergies Re: SC - Suspicious Allergies

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sun May 10 19:41:39 PDT 1998

> << < We also have a lady in our area who is not only allergic to bell peppers,
>   but to black pepper as well.     Isobel fytz Gilbert >>
>
> << Black pepper and fruit type peppers are way unrelated biologically AND in
> terms of their chemical makeup.  Either her allergies are a bizarre
> coincidence or she just doesn't like hot foods. >>
>  It's quite possible to have 2 unrelated allergies.

Or, she's played a few rounds of "oh, I thought you could eat this kind!"
after discovering the wrong kind in the dish even after discussion and she's
taken the safe road of avoiding anything named pepper at all.

My friend that is allergic to nuts can eat peanuts because they are legumes.
Quite often people trying to accomodate her allergy will mis-remember which
kind of "nut" she can eat.  Too many times someone got it backwards, assured
her a dish was safe and it wasn't. Because of repeated exposure, her allergy
has progressed beyond tingly, swollen mouth and face.  The last exposure was
almost the last opportunity for exposure!  Now, she carries an Epi-kit and is
extremely careful of all food not prepared by herself, her husband or her own
mother. And she finds it prudent to say she is allergic to ALL nuts.