SC - Competitions-a story

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Mon May 11 05:59:41 PDT 1998

In a message dated 5/10/98 11:43:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au writes:

<< Actually, competition is a great way to raise the level. A formal challenge
 in court is a great way to start...

 Rowan  >>

This brings back memories of a feast I attended a couple of years ago at the
Barony of Blackstone Raid in West Virginia. Llew was in charge of the feast
(wich was extraordinary, BTW) and the Baron judged a dessert competition after
the feast.

IIRC, there were 2 entires mine and Henry's. I had attempted to reproduce the
Cheryon reciept in Two Fifteenth Century Cookbooks and Henry had done an
exquisite almond cookie thingy. We presented our respectitive desserts to the
High Table  and the Baron and Baroness dutifully tasted a small amount of each
one (several times. :-)).

Unable to make a choice between the two a friendly skirmish ensued which
resulted in an almond cookie being broken into the Cheryon dish. Both the
Baron and Baroness scooped up some of the Cheryon with the almond cookie
pieces and popped them in their mouths. The result was unanimous> Seperate the
desserts were great but together they were better! :-)

Having only one prize for the winner was a small problem. The Baron presented
Henry with the prize and then removed a silver ankh from his personal
treasures and handed it to me. It was a moment that I shall never forget.

Ras