SC - Re: food tithes

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Tue May 12 04:45:06 PDT 1998

On Tue, 12 May 1998, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> I had a lady ask me a month of so ago, if I knew when these specific times
> were. I believe they conincided with some of the seasonal holidays but I
> don't have any specific documentation. Does anyone out there?

> Actually, retiring as a peasant was not that uncommon. Basically when a
> peasant was getting old enough so that he could not manage the land, he
> might sell off parts or all of it. Sometimes part of the agreement was
> that the new landowner would care for the seller until the seller's
> death. There are court cases alleging that the seller did not keep up
> their side of the bargain, at least in the seller's eyes. I can dig
> out the book if anyone is interested. Although it concentrates on the
> peasant, it draws on quite a wealth of court records and such showing
> the life of the peasant in various stages from birth to death.
>
> Stefan li Rous
> stefan at texas.net

Two thoughts.  1) wouldn't it be interesting to use the food tithe idea as
a charity event?  bring a food tithe in addition to the site fee, and the
cans of food will be donated to ...???
2) I would LOVE to see this book.  You see, some of us humble types, we
often hang out as peasants, and it would be neat to see.  Besides, for my
area at least, peasant clothing is SO comfortable.

Bogdan