SC - Siege Cookery Contest

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed May 13 08:50:34 PDT 1998

Yes, I had saved all of this, so I have posted both the premise and the
winner's entry.  Enjoy.

Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies

: Premise:
:
: You have been surrounded and cut off in a Siege for months, your
supplies are at an all time low, THIS IS IT, the besieger have sent in
negotiators, powerful Barons, to appraise the situation, the hall has
been freshened, only the healthiest looking are allowed out and about,
all the animals (who cares that the cow has just dried up) are put in
places to be seen, and it is up to YOU (your Baron has made this
abundantly clear) the humble cook to pull of the last bit of artful
delusion, serve a Grand Feast, using practically no food.  .....
:
: The Barony of White Waters Presents at the 2nd Policemans Ball, March
: 28th, it's 2nd SIEGE COOKERY CONTEST!
:
: Below find the list of ingredients that Must be used, Can be used, and
: Other items of interest.
: Siege Cookery Contest
:
: Required Ingredients
: (you must use at least some of the below listed ingredients)
:
: 1/4 loaf stale white bread
: 1/2 cup rice
: 1/4 cup lard (yes, real lard)
: 1/2 cup chicken organ meat
: 1in piece of ginger root, fresh
: 1/2 C sugar (white)
: 1 C flour (white)
: 2 carrots, 1 stalk celery
: 1 cup milk
: 48 raisins
: 1 mystery meat (this will be either pork, chicken, or beef,
:                           approx. the size of a small cutlet, #'s will
:                           be drawn for the mystery meat from the
:                            contestants, no whining allowed.)
:
: Optional Items - You do not have to use, but it might help.
:
: 1 orange
: 2 eggs
: 4 tsp. bacon fat
: 2 pieces bacon (uncooked)
: 1/2 cup cream
: 24 grapes
:
: Unlimited resources
:
: Water
: salt
: heat
:
:
: No Home Prep is
: allowed, all items
: to be prepared on
: site.
:
: What you may bring from home
:
: Up to 1/4 C of any herb (fresh)
: Up to 2 TBS of any herb or seasoning (dry)
:
: NOTE:  No serving utensils, or dishes will
: be provided, it is HIGHLY suggested that
: you bring your own, remember, appearance
: counts.
:
:
: What the Barony will Provide in terms of
: equipment:
:
: 2 bowls
: chopping board
: 1 burner for heating
: space in oven
: space in freezer
: space in refrigerator
:
:
: What you will be judged on:
: Appearance
: Apparent quantity
: # of different dishes
: Palaitability

	AND THE WINNER IS:
>From the glorious list of ingredients, I prepared:
                First Remove
        Chicken liver patte with garlic toast points
                Second Remove
        a light soup made from chicken gizzards and hearts
          with vegetables
        Popovers  (a leavenless bread)
                 Third Remove
        Mystery meat (2 chicken breasts) sautéed
          with a zesty orange-grape sauce
        Rice Pilaf garnished with garlic braised carrots
                 Fourth Remove
        A sumptuous breadpudding with Nutmeg cream
Accompanying this meal was a tea made with 1 tea bag and orange zest and
ginger

The judges were most complimentary on the meal, with the most notable
response from Moonwolf "breadpudding-kickass".
This was a very fun experience and I would recommend it to anyone. You
are
judged on presentation, apparent quantity and, of course, taste and
variety.

Pode Tus Dias Tem Joyas Sempre,
Anise