SC - Funnel cakes (cryspes)

Ceridwen ceridwen at commnections.com
Wed May 13 12:39:26 PDT 1998

Greetings all,
    The funnel cakes mentioned here are the forerunners of those
lovelies that we get at the fairs. Funnel cake mix is available at most
groceries, for those wanting to try them without redacting an original.
I made them for breakfast at Trimaris' Tenth Year Anniversary, in an
outdoor kitchen (two gas burners) for about 100 people. Fun... but I
won't do it again unless I have a way to regulate the temperature of the
oil better.... the breeze sucked the heat out of the burners, and I had
far more waste than I would have liked. Doing them again in June at St
Jerome's Study (for 50).

Ceridwen

>From Le Menagier de Paris (janet Hinson trans)
Crepes in Tournay Style
First, you must have the use of a brass skillet holding a quart, of
which the top is no wider than the bottom, even by a very little, and
the edges should be 3 or 4 fingers tall and half a finger thick.
Item:you need to have salted butter, maelted, skimmed, and cleaned, and
then turned into another skillet, and leave all the salt and fresh oil
as clean in one as in the other. Then take eggs and fry (?) them and
take the whites out of half of them, and the remains of these are beaten
with all the whites and yolks, then take a third or a fourth of warm
white wine and mix it all together, then take the best wheat flour you
can get, and then beat together enough at a time, for one or two people,
and your batter should be neither clear nor thick, but such that it will
flow though a hole as big as your little finger:
Then put your butter and your oil on the fire, as much of one as the
other, until it boils, then take your batter and fill a bowl or a lerge
pierced wooden spoon, and pour it inot your grese, first into the middle
of the skillet, then circling until your skillet is full: and keep
beating your batterwithout stopping to make more crepes. And this crepe
which is in the pan should be lifted with a fork or a skewer, and turned
over to cook, then take it out, put it on a plate, and start another,
and keep stirring and beating the batter without stopping.

Forme of Cury:
Cryspes
Take flour of pandemayn and medle it with white greece over the fireon a
chawfor and do the batter thereto quentlych through thy fingers, or
through a skymour and let it  little quayle a little so that it be hool
therein. And if thou wilt colour it with alkanet ysondyt. Take them up
and cast therein sugar, and serve them forth.

Ancient Cookery (contained in form of Cury)
For to make cryppys
Nym flour and wytys of eyren sugar other honey and sweyng togeder, and
make a batour. Nym white greece and do it in a posnet and cast the
batour thereyn and stury to thou have many, and take them up and messe
hem with the frutours ans serve forthe.

Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books
CryspesTake white of eyron, milke, and fyne floure, and bete hit togidre
and drawe hit thorgh a streynour, so that hit be rennyng and noght to
stiff: and caste there-to sugur and salt. And then take a chauffur ful
of fresh greece boiling: and then put thy honde in the batur and lete
the batur ren thorgh thi fingers into the chaffur:And when it is run
togidre in the chaffre, and is ynow, take a skymour and take hit outw of
the chauffer and putte oute al the greece and let ren: And putte hit in
a faire dissh and cast sugur thereon ynow and serve it forth.