SC - German potato salad dressing

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Thu May 14 07:14:40 PDT 1998

This is the buttercake recipe my nanny used to make, she was brought over in
1923 to take care of my father and his brothers, it is from the Berlin
region.
Butterkuchen, Butter Cake

- ----

Dough:

1 1/2 tsp. dry yeast
1 cup warm milk (115F)
3 3/4 cups (500g) four
1/4 cup (50g) sugar
3 egg yolks
2 1/2 sticks of melted butter
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 dash of salt

Topping:

2 1/2 to 3 sticks unsalted butter
3/4 cup (150g) sugar
2 packs of vanilla sugar

Dissolve yeast in milk, and mix 1/2 of the flour to it. Cover and let rest
for 30 minutes in warm place. Add the rest of the flour, sugar, egg yolks,
melted butter, salt, and lemon juice. Knead well. Let rest for additional 20
minutes. Spread dough out on large greased (use butter) baking pan or sheet.
Let dough raise again. Slice (than smaller than better) unsalted butter
sticks, and put the pieces on top of dough. Mix sugar with vanilla sugar and
sprinkle over the dough. Put loaf pan filled with hot water in the bottom of
the oven. This will make the cake fluffy. Preheat oven to 400F. Put in the
middle of the oven, and bake for about 25 minutes.

Note: Use only unsalted butter for the topping or the cake will be salty.

This sort of variant, my mother makes, her mother was from a mennonite
branch colony in central Iowa, her grandmother was imported from
Pennsylvania to marry to 'freshen ' the blood. [yipee, got to love those
farmers-blunt and to the point!]

1 cake of dried yeast
1 cup whey
3-4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar or honey
3 egg yolks
1/2 lb melted butter
1/4 tsp salt

make into a dough, let rise and punch down. Form into a rectangular cake or
jelly roll pan.

topping-
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 lb butter
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
4 apples, peeled and chopped

In a bowl, cut the butter and dry ingredients together into large pea, top
the cake with the nuts and apples, then cover with the sugar mixture.

Bake at 425 until done.

[i know, sort of sketchy directions, but we dont work from a recipe, this is
the first time i've written it down.]

There is more than a bit of americanization going on, somewhere we lost the
lemon, and the topping got very caffe-kuchen-ish, with apples and nuts. I
think the honey popped in during the second world war, or the depression as
my mom remembers keeping bees[she was also born in '23]

I guess this would sort of be the difference?
margali