SC - Rue

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu May 14 20:05:47 PDT 1998

Well, I was out in the garden today, and I went over and tasted the Rue.
First, I broke off some new growth, and bit into it. Bitter.  Too bitter
to keep chewing on, but if I just sucked on it a little, it was ok.  It
doesn't taste much like mint at all, no menthol feeling.  It has more of
a licorice taste to it, or maybe horehound (I kept remembering some kind
of old-fashioned  candy, but couldn't put my finger on it).  After about
3 minutes of standing there trying to picture the flavor in my mind, my
tounge, lips, and roof of my mouth went numb.  I quit then.  Several
hours later, I can still feel that a little bit (not numbness really,
just kind of an after-effect)
 Interesting.  I would imagine a little would go a long way in a recipie,
and can see where it would add and interesting flavor in a diluted form.

Christianna