SC - Re: period recipes

Michael P Newton melc2newton at juno.com
Sat May 16 18:04:36 PDT 1998

On Tue, 05 May 1998 16:59:00 +1000 Robyn Probert
<robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au> writes:

>TFCC = Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books

>Beef Stew (no carrots though)
>Beef y-stewed (TFCC)
>Take fayre beef of the rybbes of the forequarters, an smyte in fayre
>pecys,
>and wasche the beef in-to a fayre potte; than take the water that the
>beef
>was sothin yn an strayne it thorw a straynowr, an sette the same water
>and
>beef in a potte, an let hem boyle to-gederys; than take canel, clowes,
>maces, graynys of parise, quibibes, an oynons y-mynced, perceli, an
>sawge,
>an caste ther-to an let hem boyle to-gederys; an than take a lof of
>brede,
>an stepe it with brothe an venegre, an than draw it thorw a
>straynoure, and
>let it be stylle; an whan it is nere y-now, caste the lycour ther-to,
>but
>nowt to moche, an than let boyle onys, an cast safroun ther-to a
>quantyte;
>than take salt an venegre, and cast ther-to, an loke that it be
>poynant
>y-now, a serue forth.

>Rowan
so now that I can figure out all of the ingredients (thank you all for
playing the quiz, er, answering the question :) ), Here's my redaction:

2 lbs of beef brisket
2 qts. of water

boil beef in water then drain, reserving the liquid. Chop up the brisket
and add back to the water. (is there any real reason I can't just cut up
the beef before hand?)

Add the following:
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp mace
1/8 tsp grains of paradise
1/4 tsp cubebs
1 tbsp parsley
1/2 tsp sage
1 cup minced onions

Boil together for ten mins.
Soak 5 slices of bread in 1/2 cider vinegar and 1 cup beef broth. Push
the mixture thro' a food ricer and add to stew. Add 3 Tbsp of red wine, 2
quartered onions and 1/8 tsp saffron.Cook together until onions are soft.
Season with salt and vinegar to taste.

So, how did I do? (I'm still new at this redacting stuff) Also, if
someone could e-mail me a Armoured Turnips recipe to
melc2newton at Juno.com, I would be most greatful.

Thanks,
beatrix