SC - fun recipe brainstorm

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon May 18 01:30:16 PDT 1998

- ----------
> From: Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net>
> To: SCA-Cooks maillist <SCA-Cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
> Subject: Re: SC - Garlic in British Isles
> Date: Monday, May 18, 1998 12:07 AM
>
> I asked about a recipe:
> >Can you send me a copy of this aquapatys?
>
> And Elizabeth replied:
>
> >Aquapatys.  Pill garlec and cast it in a pot with water and oile and
> >see(th) it.  Do (th)erto safroun, salt, and powdour fort and dresse it
> >forth hoot. [end of original; thorns replaced with (th)]
>
> >I don't have a worked-out version; the only term I can see that needs
hi all from Anne-Marie
I've been asked to do the food demo for a non-SCA 14th century re-enactment
demo in Canada. woo hoo!
The situation...I'll have a fire, grill and one large pot. I need to come
up with recipes that i can make all day that will amuse and educate the
public. They must be appropriate to 14th century mainland, middle of the
road Europe, so documented ones only please.

Anyone have any fun ideas? What we brainstormed tonight on the long car
ride home from Crown...
- --"balls" ie meatballs, skewered and roasted, glazed with a green parsley
sauce
- --yrchons the way they are supposed to be, ie in casings (sausage stuffing
could be intriging and would definately astound the tourists), skewered and
roasted
- --rissoles...small tartlets, deep fried
- --lamb bits on skewers, served with barbe robert (a mustard and butter
sauce)
- --skewered chickens (I could ask helpful tourists to turn the spit) with
the orange and rosewater sauce
- --cretonnee of new peas...the sieving could be amusing and interesting

others? looking for something that shows
1. medieval food inst so different from modern food, really
2. some neat medieval cooking tecnique that will be amusing and intersting
to watch (like the subtletie of yrchouns, the endoring of the balls, the
stuffing of sausage casings, etc)

thanks!
- --AM