Alcohol bafflement [was SC - whats an inn?]

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Fri May 29 09:48:27 PDT 1998

Anne-Marie,
While these are very good, and I might add valid points, I guess that coming
from this side of the border i just don't understand. The aspect of being
sued didn't even enter my mind. However, given the point you made about our
culture drinking less as a whole, I think maybe the laws are to discourage
the inebriated as***les that ruin things fior the rest of us. Too bad bad
for us who are not.

As well in Ontario, there are laws similar to your own about bartenders, the
bar etc., but I have never heard of this coming to a court house
ever...allthough this may not be the case as I'm not a Barister.

I am of a mind that alot of behavior is learned. I see very little evidence
here in our parks of trashed bottles, drunken louts etc. and perhaps we are
lucky that this behavior, for the most part, was never taught to us as a
general population. Again it must have been learned...and if it is evident,
I don't see it too much in the SCA. We seem to be a gentle, respectful lot
on the whole. (it's too bad we don';t have a separate set of laws for
us...it would make this issue almoost moot!)

More so, noise in our parks is more of an issue and perhaps the two go hand
in hand. Here the rangers can ticket you (approx. $75 each!) hour by hour
after, I believe, 11pm and then turf you out at 6am the next morning. It is
illegal for them to turf you when a) your drunk and b) its dark.  I have
seen this done and its incredibly funny to see the looks on the accused
faces when the rangers show up bright and early the next morning to
accompany these jerks off the premises!

One thing I have learned with this discussion is that if I ever have the
opportunity to cook feast out of Canada I had better check the liquour laws
very carefully BEFORE planning the menu!

Micaylah