SC - Re: Alcohol bafflement

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri May 29 10:31:20 PDT 1998

On Fri, 29 May 1998 09:16:43 -0600 (MDT) Linda Peterson
<mirhaxa at swcp.com> writes:

>> I honestly believe that we, as individuals, should be our own
>"liquour control board" and make those decision for ourselves. >
	Well, so do we here in Georgia, however, the State disagrees.

> I'll bet I wouldn't be too popular with most of the denizens of "the
bible belt", especially since I'm Catholic! <haha>
	Actually, there  are quite a few progressive thinkers here,
especially in the cities.  Once you get out into the country, well, then
you are in a different plane of reality all together.  (And, there are
lots of Catholics here.)  I think you would find that there is as much
debate over restrictive laws here as there are in any other area of the
country.

>In the blue law vein, I was once in Texas and the grocery store would
>sell you beer on Sunday, but not a broom-no working on the Sabbath!
>Mirhaxa
>  mirhaxa at swcp.com
	Imagine our surprise when we go to Pennsic, and find that all of
the alcohol is regulated by the state, and only available in State Run
Stores!  Except beer, which is sold only by the case, and only in Beer
Stores.  That seems rather strange to us.  Here in Georgia,  Beer and
Wine are sold in grocery stores (not on Sundays), and Package or Liquor
stores sell everything alcoholic, including the sodas and mixers,
neer-beer, and salty snacks!  They are also closed on Sundays.  The only
place you can buy alcohol on a Sunday is if you go into a restaurant
after noon, and sit down to a meal.  Then, the bar is open.  (That is in
Atlanta,
there are some counties in rural GA that have the strange Brown-Bag
rules, where they sell mixers, etc.)
	As far as our State Parks are concerned (thank you, FDR, we are
really blessed by an entire system of beautiful camps built in the 30's
by the WPA and the CCC, complete with cabins, dining halls, class
buildings, etc.) they are ususally described as "Discretely Wet" and the
rangers turn a blind eye to that which they do not see.  We recently did
get in a small amount of trouble, because we had gotten very lax about
empties in the garbage.  Since the rangers are the ones to come and take
out the trash at the end of the event, the do NOT want to see original
containers there.  They understand our group (we have been using the site
in question for 15 years) but they do have the rules they are supposed to
be enforcing, and need us to make their jobs easier by not flaunting the
rule breaking in their faces.  Quite understandable, actually, and they
just don't care about our consumption while on site other than visible
signs afterward.
	We occaisionally will do an event at a COMPLETELY DRY, NO FOOLIN'
AROUND HERE, JUST DON'T BRING IT site, and everyone is pretty cool about
it.  Of course, if you pour something into a container at home and don't
do anything but sip out of it yourself, no one is to know.  But, we don't
encourage that, beause usually those are the types of places that get
upset about even the 'one empty beer can in the trunk from last weekend'
kind of thing.  We try not to have our major events at places like that,
and then we always have to have the discussion, "But, do we really have
to have alcohol to have a good time?".
	But that is a whole different topic, so I will leave it there.

Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies