SC - Re: Ras wanting humor proof

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Nov 1 07:19:24 PST 1998

In a message dated 10/28/98 6:26:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tsersen at browser.net writes:

<< It seems like the knee-jerk reaction to people asking for
 vegetarian alternatives is 20 times louder, longer and more annoying
 than the original requests. >>

I think the knee-jerk reaction comes because of the very few people who get
highly offended if you haven't provided something that meets their personal
dietary needs/desires, even though they never bothered to inform you they were
coming or had particular food needs/desires.
I was assisting on serving a lunch of sausage bread when a gentleman came up
to me and asked if there was pork in the sausage.  I didn't know, so had him
ask the cook who came out right behind me.  The cook replied that there was
indeed pork in the sausage, at which point the gentle requested bread with no
sausage - which was not available as it had all been cooked already.  As the
cook told him - if you had asked me an hour ago, you could have had an entire
loaf of bread, but you did not let me know what you needed so I can't help
you.  The gentle was highly offended because we had not catered to needs he
had not made known to us.
At the most recent event I attended, I made meat pies, a vegetarian period
soup, and lemonade.  The meat pies were solid enough to eat by hand - but I
had one person who was upset that I had not provided bread and cheese that she
could carry to her lord down at the list field.  This despite the fact that
the menu had been posted at the troll table and by the serving area all day,
and clearly did not include bread and cheese.  We also had a woman at the
event who was allergic to wheat - but I knew she was coming ahead of time, so
made sure that one lunch option did not include wheat, and was solid enough to
fill her up, and also covered the needs of any vegetarians at the same time.
Had I not known she was coming, I might have chosen to do a pie for the
vegetarians, and then she would have been out of luck.  But she told me she
had also brought her own food along, just in case.
   As I said, very few people behave badly over this issue, but the ones who
do are memorable. I simply don't know about the ones who have looked at the
menus/ingredients lists, decided what they can or cannot eat, and made
decisions accordingly, because it is never brought to my attention. And most
often the ones complaining have brought the problem on themselves by not
checking the lists, asking someone, or otherwise making some effort on their
own to make sure their needs are met.

Brangwayna

Brangwayna