SC - Nobility at work, in and out of kitchens

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Nov 1 08:16:32 PST 1998

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> I just finished reading 'The Frugal Gourmet Keeps the Feast-Past, Present, and
> Future' by Jeff Smith; ISBN 0-688-11568-3. The book consists of "Recipes and
> Stories That Explain How the Ancient Table May Be Celebrated in Our Times and
> How Food Functions as Theological Talk in the Bible."
>
> While not exactly authoratative because of a lack of original sources (e.g.
> bible verses are sited as the authority), I found this book a very good read.
> It gives you a lot of starting points for doing further research and, as
> always has a lot of good recipes. While I can't recommend it for the
> historical cook I would suggest it as a starting point for further research
> especially if your religious bent is Judeo-Christian.

Smith is, or was, trained as a minister of one denomination or other
(Lutheran, I think), which might be considered by some to make him a tad
more credible in these matters than in his usual rather oversimplified
historical research. I kind of like him too, limitations notwithstanding.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy