SC - period jam and pudding

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Sun Nov 1 14:31:24 PST 1998

In a message dated 11/1/98 3:02:19 PM Eastern Standard Time, Seton1355 at aol.com
writes:

<< what was the name of the book in the original post?  >>

I'm not sure which 'original' post you're referring to so here are all the
titles, I have on file:
'
The Frugal Gourmet Keeps the Feast-Past, Present, and Future' by Jeff Smith;
ISBN 0-688-11568-3. "Recipes and Stories That Explain How the Ancient Table
May Be Celebrated in Our Times and How Food Functions as Theological Talk in
the Bible."

two Copeland Marks books with information on that topic - Sephardic Cooking,
which details the cuisine of the various Sephardic communities of the world
(those descended from the first diaspora, which had emigrated to Babylon, and
then spread out). A second book of his, The Varied Cuisines of India, details
the cooking of a number of communities, and includes the Hindus and the Jews
of India.

<<When you read Jeff Smith on Jewish recipes/information, be careful.  He has
made a few mistakes in the past.  (My brother-in-law, who is ultra kosher &
likes to cook, caught them.)>>

He does occasionally make a mistake or two, agreed.

<<why would not the Bible be acceptable as a period source?>>

In the original and in a litteral translation it would be exceptable as a
'period' source. However, I am unaware of any English translations that are
not influenced by current theoligical thought. For instance, all translations
show 'the spirit of God' as moving on the waters when the Hebrew word
conotates a feminine aspect which would be closer to the original if
translated 'Goddess". :-) The same in the New testament where the Greek
'Sophia' is erromeously rendered as 'the Holy Spirit'. Elohim is translated as
'God' when the actual translation would be something like 'Gods'. These are
extreme examples but they leave little doubt in my mind that the rest of the
texts are probably equally corrupted.

 <<Have a lovely week & enjoy the Fall colors outside My Lord & everyone else
on
 the list.
 Respectfully, Phillipa >>

I will, and am. :-) Fall is my favorite time of the year.as the Earth wraps
Herself in her cloak of many colors. :-)

Ras