SC - Peasants and Nobility

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Nov 2 16:49:52 PST 1998

Good gentles,

I really feel that our discussions of Peasants and Nobility are exceeding
the bounds of this List. When I first joined the SCA, a mere 6 years ago,
one of the things I was told was that we were all considered to be minor
nobility, and that we were to use good manners in addressing our
co-players. I have seen people choose to ignore these "rules", along with
the rules about the MA as it could have been- I'm thinking of vampires and
elves, and such- but quite frankly, who pays much attention to these
people, unless there's something to be gained by so doing?

One of the most notable curmudgeons on this List is Duke Sir Master Master,
etc. Cariadoc- but he's also one of the first to offer help if we need it.
Although I enjoy arguing with him, he has never descended to the level of
stating that "It's this way because I said it, and I've got a brass hat so
there," kind of thing, and I like and respect him for it. Many other Peers
are the same way- I'm thinking of Master Adamantius, Mistress Alys
Katherine, Mistress Christianna, Sir Poppa Gunthar, just on this List, and
many others I've had the honor to meet, talk with, and work with.

On the other hand, I've also met a few Peers who are a disgrace to the
human race, let alone the intent of the Peerage- one notable example being
a Duke, at Pennsic, who after a solemn wake in which he had imbibed too
much (as usual), vomitted all over the head of the deceased's household,
and while being taken back to camp in a golf cart, attempted to moon the
opposing Royal Encampment, fell out of the golf cart, flat on his gluteus
maximus, and cursed out the people who were trying to help him.

By the same token, I've met many mere peons, like me ;-), who were most
excellent, helpful, caring people, and others who made the aforementioned
Duke a good match. ( Work Chiurgeon's sometime, and see the world- right
Allison?)

The point of this is, that there are wonderful people and sh$%heads
everywhere, but we're people doing the best we can to have fun, in a gentle
and caring manner. If you want to base an event on a Peasant Wedding, or an
Aztec Noble's Feast, or a Scot's Cattle Raids, or whatever, it doesn't
matter. Just relax and have fun.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches