[none]

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Nov 3 06:37:50 PST 1998

To change-but-not-change the subject, here is a great feast menu from simplefare
on saturday. note the yummy yet dairy rich menu:

bread, honey butter, basil butter
mustard soup-chicken broth, flour, milk, cream, eggs, mustard, butter, peas as
    garnish

roast of beef, pears in wine, lemonaid, apples-n-onions
lemon whyte-rice, peas, mushrooms, rasins, onions, salt

roast chicken, cider
spinach fibonacci-spinach, basil,salt, pepper
roedd groedd mit floedd-strawberries, raspberries, heavy cream, sour cream,
    whipping cream, milk

herring steaks, bokwurst, baklava, dolmas
roman carrots-carrots, vinegar, honey
fungi parmegiani-mushroons, olive oil, bread crumbs, garlic, parmesan cheese
amygdalopita-almonds, flour, butter, eggs, sugar, baking soda, graham cracker
    crumbs

Baron Sallamallah makes a menu for the taste, catering for the masses and not
overly concerned about the nutritional count[obviously] He himself is a diabetic
and can't eat most of what he serves. About the only thing I saw modified for the
veggi bunch was a small batch of mustard soup made with oout the chicken broth. I
almost always will go off my diet a tad for feasts, and be a bit more strict the
days before and after.

On a more personal note, despite my being a person of girth, I have consistantly
pissed off my primary care doc by consistantly haveing a much lower blood pressure
and cholesterol count [both types] and i make no bones about eating fresh dairy,
eggs and meats in my diet. I have never used substitutes[except for the avoidance
of sugar and following my nutritionists orders as to handling dietary control
diabetes II] I also ate pretzels and other salty foods with impunity. I can only
offer the explaination that I was eating the foods that the body evolved to eat. I
have just been instructed to turn my diet upside down and to avoid carbs by a
military doctor [ usually the ones a decade or so behind the times] that is almost
an exact opposite of the normal [hi, atkids, you know who you are...] and my
health has been improving [to the tune of 20 lbs in 2 months lost]

There are also a number of people [fighters that I know] on the 'neanderthin'
diet, and others similar. It does seem that there may be some shakeup in the ideas
that are traditional in our modern society comparable to the medieval shakeup
changing from the sanitas 'humor' diet that occured in the 17th and 18th centuries
as their medical understanding changed with the advent of research into human
anatomy. I find it funny that the woman in charge of health reporting in my JAMA
service waits until there are at least 3 studies confirming a new health scare
[like sodium/no sodium and cyclamates/no cyclamates] before she bothers to change
her diet on the grounds she has noticed that a lot of studies are incapeable of
being duplicated, but nobody seems to wait before jumping on the bandwagon of food
scares. I like her attitude!
margali