SC - Which books?

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 3 11:49:52 PST 1998

You said:

		A correction needs to be made here.  Simchat Torah is not
the celebration of the giving of the Torah to the Jews.  That holiday is
Shavuoth.  Simchat Torah came about around 500 AD.  Initially Jews
celebrated the completion of reading the Torah (reason for the celebration
of Simchat Torah) on the holiday of Shimini Atzeret (The Eighth Day
Assembly) which falls immediately after Sukkoth.  Because of problems with
predicting the exact day of the new moon which governs the Jewish calendar,
the Rishonim (Rabbi's who led Jewish communities after the Talmudic Period)
set up an extra day for each holiday.  Simchat Torah is actually the second
day of Shimini Atzeret.

You are correct, I goofed!  My mother is aggressively reform, and about the
only Hebrew we heard regularly was the Sh'ma and "Baruch atah...."  The
names of Simchat Torah and Shavuoth are two I have never learned to keep
straight (I know which holy day falls when, but I keep mixing up the names,
I think because Sukkoth and Shavuoth are more similar).

Still, the original posted made a comment about Jewish Holidays being or
not-being in the Bible, and I wanted to point out - as you have also - that
most of them came later, as real holidays, and without the heavy religious
significance of the Christian ones, which seem to all be around the lives of
saints, Jesus, and Mary.

- ---= Morgan

		           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
	           |/     margolh at nt.com *  Hablutzel at compuserve.com
	Morgan Cely Cain * Steppes, Ansteorra (although this week, in
Elveglast/Buckston-on-Eno, Atlantia)
	May God have mercy on my enemies
	For they shall certainly need it.

	For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.